Genadendal (1738), the oldest mission station on the continent of Africa, was one of the most progressive communities at the Cape during the 19th century. The Moravian Missionaries and members of the congregation, apart from fulfilling their religious duties, carried out pioneering work in the fields of education, music, printing, vernacular architecture, furniture making and other local industries.
All buildings on Genadendal Church Square were declared as National Monuments in 1980 and it is regarded as the most authentic Church Square in the country.
The Mission Museum collection is housed in a building which was erected in 1838 as the first Teachers’ Training College in South Africa. Most of the collection on display has been produced and used at this mission station.
Mon.-Thurs.: 9:00-13:00, 14:00-17:00
Sundays on special request, phone (028) 2518220
Other places of interest include:
- Moravian Church
- Genadendalse Drukkery/Printing Works
- Moravian Restaurant
- Water Mill
- Helpmekaar Home Industry
- Art & Craft Centre